Modifying Child Support in Georgia

Since the time your divorce terms were settled, other life events may have transpired that now make it necessary to petition for a child support modification. To do so, it is important that you first speak with an experienced Georgia family law attorney to gain a full understanding of your legal options and how to best progress forward.

Since 1980, our law firm has been helping families throughout Cobb County, Cherokee County and Paulding County with their child support modification needs. Located in Marietta, F. Marian Weeks, P.C., Attorneys at Law, now boasts two well-known local attorneys with over 65 years of combined experience: Marian Weeks and Fraser Hudgins. We will guide you through the legal process and aggressively advocate for your best possible outcome.

Petitions to modify child support in Georgia are restricted on how often they can be filed. You must demonstrate a substantial change in circumstances on each occasion.

Child Support Modification Can Be Sought Under the Following Circumstances

  • Substantial decrease of income: If you are the payor and your income has decreased dramatically, we can petition the court to decrease your obligation using the child support guidelines. If successful, a court order will be issued reflecting the new monthly amount the payor owes based on the change in his or her income.
  • Substantial increase of income: If the payor or payee (recipient of the child support funds) is now earning more, we can petition the court to either increase or decrease the obligation. Please remember, if the payee remarries, the stepparent has no duty of support and their earning capacity does not affect your monthly support obligations.
  • If the payor is not fulfilling their visitation requirements, you can petition for a child support modification outside of the two-year limit because it can be argued that the increased time you are spending with your children costs more.
  • If one of the parties is moving and the transportation costs for visitation will increase, we can seek a child support modification by calculating the actual costs of air travel, hotel and car rental as part of your support obligations that will be credited back to you.

If you and your former spouse mutually decide to modify the child support order, you should not rely on a handshake or the other party's word. In fact, it is strongly advisable to file any such modification with the court, which can be done by agreement. This can prevent costly and stressful legal battles in the event a disagreement arises at a later point.

Schedule a Free 30-Minute Initial Consultation

Our lawyers are available to speak with you at 770-884-6296 or by email. We look forward to discussing the particulars of your modification case and your legal options for swift resolution.