Establishing Grandparents' Rights in Georgia

In situations where parental custody is not in the best interests of a child, a grandparent (or certain other relatives) may be able to seek visitation rights or even custody of the child. The law involving custody is very specific, so it is important you seek assistance from a lawyer who is familiar with this area of law.

At F. Marian Weeks, P.C., Attorneys at Law, we have a vast range of experience advocating for grandparents, aunts, uncles and siblings in issues involving custody and visitation. We offer you over 65 years of combined experience and a proven track record in all areas of family law and divorce in Georgia.

Visitation Rights for Grandparents

Grandparents (or certain other relatives) may seek both visitation and custody rights under certain circumstances.

  • If the parents are living together and married, grandparents cannot make a claim for visitation.
  • If the parents are deceased, divorced or not living together, then a grandparent can make a claim for third-party visitation rights.

Family Members Seeking Custody

Grandparents, aunts, uncles and siblings have the right to seek custody if it can be shown that parental custody would harm the child. In order to be granted custody, it must be proven that the child would be harmed if custody is not granted to a family member other than the child's biological parent(s). This should only be attempted with an experienced family law attorney.

Once it is established that a parent may not be the best custodian for the child, the courts will look for the best interests of the child and what party can best promote the child's health, welfare and happiness.

We have been successful in getting custody for great aunts and grandparents.

Schedule a Free 30-Minute Initial Consultation

Please contact us for representation in Cobb County, Cherokee County and Paulding County. Our sterling reputation with the courts in each of these counties may be a considerable help to your case. Call us in Marietta at 770-884-6296 or email us to schedule a meeting with one of our lawyers.