Relocation And Move-Aways

Over time, there may be circumstantial changes where one parent seeks to relocate and move to another state with a child. There is a specific process in the state of Georgia for parental relocation, and our law firm can assist you with this process whether you seek to relocate or to prevent relocation.

At F. Marian Weeks, P.C., Attorneys at Law, we represent mothers and fathers in matters involving parental relocation, custody and visitation. Based in Marietta, our attorneys are exclusively dedicated to resolving family law matters and are committed to providing the highest level of service in your custody case.

Attorneys Marian Weeks and Fraser Hudgins have over 65 years of combined experience serving clients in Cobb County, Cherokee County and Paulding County. They are experienced trial lawyers and mediators with the skills and knowledge to resolve even the most complicated family law matters efficiently.

The Relocation Process in Georgia

If one parent wants to seek relocation after the parenting plan has been made, he or she must give a 30-day notice to the other parent. Within the 30 days, the other parent has time to file a modification for custody and parenting time.

The court will look at a number of different issues, some including:

  • Child's ties to the community (social, religious, etc.)
  • Family (aunts, uncles, cousins)
  • Circumstances of the move

Under no circumstances can a decision be made in a parenting plan for a child moving or not moving at a later date. For instance, a parenting plan cannot state that in the future, if the custodial parent moves, he or she will get to take the children with them. Relocations are determined by the court at the time of the request.

Also, children over the age of 14 can make an election whether or not they want to move, and their election will be considered as long as it is in their best interests.

Speak With One of Our Lawyers Today

We offer free 30-minute initial consultations in all cases, and we look forward to speaking with you about your parental rights and legal options. Please call us at 770-884-6296 or email us to set up a meeting.